Depending on how you punctuate that phrase, it is either positive or derogatory.
A few quick examples:
Oh, China!!
--Hearing people honk their horns randomly just to tell everyone, "I'm coming!", not necessarily because they are being rude.
--Today finding the perfect pair of gladiator shoes for under 10 American dollars, having yummy egg and milk porridge stuff with Chinese friends, etc.
--Standing in a store and wondering why everyone is staring at you..until you remember that you are blonde and oh yeah, this happens all the time!
--Getting free stuff just for being American. Haha.
--Desserts. Enough said.
--Just smiling at people when they speak in Chinese to you :) I have no idea what you are saying to me, lady :)
Oh, China...
--Not being able to comment on ANYTHING on Facebook anymore since Vtunnel switched from Lite Facebook to the regular one! It's like being mute! So frustrating...so Shannon June Ballard if you are listening, HAPPY FREAKING 20th BIRTHDAY and please email me, I have a little something awesome to tell you for your birthday :)
--Putting laundry out to dry and first off, it takes two days to dry and when it does dry. It REEKS of China. I cannot even describe that disgusting smell to you..and the worst part of it? I think I just smell like China. I can't get it off. And most days I don't even notice. Help me :(
--Listening to men hock loogies ALL DAY long. It doesn't matter where you are, or what time of day, it can be the dead of night or while you're showing when all of the sudden your peace of mind will be ruined by that awful noise {shudder}
--Waiting 30 for a bus that comes 15 minutes late. And then waiting for the same bus again going further downtown and having to wait again. And catching another bus home that comes 10 minutes late. So. Much. Waiting. For. Public. Transportation.
Today was one of my favorite days here so far, so fun and full of everything I love about this place, so if I could post a status on Facebook right now it would be...
I LOVE CHINA!!!
I really do :) With it's good and it's bad, I'm just so happy to be here having this experience right now! Oh, China :)
6 years ago
Sounds like with the good and the bad you're still having an awesome time! I really admire you for being brave enough to live in China for four months. You can't get much more foreign than that! I love hearing about all the ways china is different than here... The good and the bad! It's all so interesting to me. And I just love thinking of you over there, soaking it all in. And your stories make me laugh!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a riot! It sounds like quite the place! And the smell?! How funny. (Not so funny to you!) The loogies killed me, what a weird cultural thing! Who started that and how did it catch on?! I bet you Americans are the only ones who it stands out to! Yeah, public trans. would kill me. I'd love to hear the horn "talking", what a crack-up. I can't believe the attention they give you guys--free stuff, how funny. Thanks for posting. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteLike I said! Rock Star status! The Good the Bad and the Ugly! Loogies are the worst and I get the whole smell thingy. Places just have certain smells that are so unique to them. Glad to know that in the end you love it and that you are having such a great experience there. Way to be!!
ReplyDelete