The one who removes a mountain begins by removing small stones.
--Chinese Proverb

Monday, May 3, 2010

Long Vacation: Day 4

Alright this vacation has been the monkey on my back for too long and it’s time to get crackin’ and get it done. I’d like to be able to blog about other China things before I go home in a little over a month. Things are going to get a little less detailed from here but something has gotta give!

Today started out with an amazing Swiss breakfast from the bar at our hostel and yet again another confusing bus ride, this time to the Summer Palace.
Beijing
The summer palace was a place that the emperor of the Qing Xing Fu hua somethin’ or other dynasty a long time ago would take his family during the summer to escape the sweltering heat of the season from their regular abode. It’s a HUGE collection of beautiful temples, pavilions, Buddha temples and outdoor hallways surrounding a lake that must have been heaven as a summer escape. Super crowded when I was there but it was fun to imagine the royal family floating around in beautifully ornate silk robes amid cherry blossoms carried on a light breeze during their stay here.
Beijing
Beijing
Long hallways call for kung fu poses

Beijing
And I just could NOT pass up the opportunity to dress up and pose like an empress....just too good! I heard once that the inspiration for some of Queen Amidala's outfits were Chinese dignitary inspired and I can really see it, can't you?

A long tiring couple of hours walking around amid the crowded concourses of more Asian tour groups than should be allowed to inhabit an area at a time. It’s places like that that remind me that there are a billion people in this country. Oh China. Although it had been awhile since I’d had someone ask me for a picture because I’m blonde and white and here I got a few good, solid photo attacks so that was fun.
Beijing
Just LOOK at ALL THOSE ASIANS!

Beijing is a weird vacation because everything is so old that it’s all been restored restored restored and sometimes walking around I couldn’t help but think that all of it was as unauthentic and artificial as Disneyland! But there still remains the fact that it used to exist sorta like it has been re-created now for me to appreciate, and let’s face it-- if I were Chinese I would appreciate it TONS MORE. But it was all nice and fun to see:) Honest, it was!

I’m sure the night ended with more shopping. It all kind of runs together at this point but it’s not even an exaggeration to say that we ended up at the silk market every night. Even when the vendors jokingly threaten to kill you because you’re too stubborn to buy for their price, it oddly enough is not discouraging. We all have spending addictions and Beijing sure takes those and runs a 100 meter dash in under 10 seconds with them..

1 comment:

  1. The summer palace looks amazing! And I loved your description of what it must have been like "back in the day"... floating through falling cherry blossoms. :) I think it's so weird that everything is like Disneyland. Kind of disappointing, since I have already seen "fake" Chinese exteriors at Disneyland/Epcot and I would expect to go to China and see the REAL THING! You know? (Obviously you do.) But that's still cool. I'm laughing about the vendors jokingly threatening to kill you... your bartering experience there will serve you well for the rest of your life! Any bartering you have to do after that will be cake!

    ReplyDelete