The one who removes a mountain begins by removing small stones.
--Chinese Proverb

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekend in Guangzhou

Guangzhou trip

Just to warn you, there are too many pictures in this post ;)

We went to the neighboring city of Guangzhou for a little weekend trip. We’d only been there one other time catching the train to Beijing and to be quite honest it was just as crazy as smelly actually visiting it as it was passing through. All in the experience, I suppose. Guangzhou is just an interesting place. The Asian Games are being help here in a hundredish days so the city is getting ready for those but I still just thought it was weird. First of all, black people. All over. And middle-easterners. There was a point where we rode past a handful of people and none of them were Oriental, weird!! That doesn’t happen in China! Also, I’m not kidding when I say that Guangzhou smells bad. I don’t know why but it was freaking nasty. And it’s just fast-paced and the people look meaner and by the end of 2 days we were all very grateful to live in Zhongshan. It’s a good home and we have everything we need here :)

Similarly to Beijing we got to do battle with the metro to make our way between the various destinations. We’re getting pretty good with a week’s worth of practice in Beijing but it’s still just a big crazy mess of Chinese people and metro stops. We caught a rickshaw back to our hotel to save us the trouble of walking after a long day of subwaying across the city.

Guangzhou trip
The little ricksha man. He had a crush on Amanda.

This is how we felt about our hotel..
Guangzhou trip
Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck. I put a shirt over my pillow and slept with no covers. Our bathroom smelt like a septic tank and showering in there was one of my grossest China experiences. And I have had some GROSS experiences, trust me.

The next morning we caught the metro to another district to go to the Safari Park!!!!
It made Guangzhou totally and completely worth it :D I was so excited about everything, I felt like a little kid!


Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip


I got to feed a baby tiger!!
Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip
SO INSANELY ADORABLE!! I want one!!


Guangzhou trip
I bought some food and fed the monkeys. It was fun to watch em scramble for it.


There was a series of exhibits called Tiger Hill and oh my goodness, dreams were fulfilled here. I love tigers so this was so amazing!
Guangzhou trip
They had so many white tigers here! And reading the story about the couple of tigers here who have 150 family members around the globe, which make up more than half of the white tiger population in the world. Thank you, China, for taking the effort to preserve the white tiger legacy!

Guangzhou trip
I decided on a favorite tiger species! The South China tiger, isn’t that appropriate?

The tiger cubs were so cute! They had so many of them!
Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip

Guangzhou trip
Baby tigers! So itty bitty and they don’t even have their stripes yet!


And because one tiger wasn’t enough..
Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip
I had to hold the white one too ;)


Guangzhou trip
Hey what’s my class doing at the safari park?? I ran for cover..


Guangzhou trip
Then I got to feed an elephant! He was playful and it was cute.


Guangzhou trip
Koalas are sleepy.


And just when I thought the day couldn’t get any better at this extraordinarily out of this world safari park …

I rode an elephant!!

Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip
Booyah!


But wait, they had pandas, too!!
Guangzhou trip

This guy was my favorite!
Guangzhou trip
Guangzhou trip
LOOK AT HIS FACE! Isn’t he adorable?? I can totally see why the panda is so loved here, and why they made such cute cartoons.

Yes, my dreams came true. About twelve of them :)

Dear China,
I realize a lot of the things you do bother me (why do so many people throw up here? and your drivers are AWFUL) but for today I am happy you have less rules and restrictions than America when it comes to animal parks. You made me superiorly blissful :)


Then for some shopping which is always an experience.

Guangzhou trip
Here we are trying on swimming suits over our clothes at an outdoor market. Lovely :)

We tried a couple more shopping places and were unsuccessful at finding what we wanted and felt as hungry, tired and irritable as if it were day 5 of Beijing. I’m starting to get burnt out on normal days so this frustrating travel experience was not exempt. One night was quite enough for me, thank you very much.

Oh Guangzhou. Thanks for the zoo but I will not miss you.

4 comments:

  1. That zoo looks AMAZING! The baby tigers!!! Riding an elephant!! Sooo amazing! I am very jealous. You have done more amazing/awesome things in the last three months than I will probably do in my lifetime. GO CHINA! Although the stinky gross parts do not sound fun. I am curious, did the rickshaw driver smell like b.o.? Whenever I see people in a pedicab I think they must be drowning in the horrible smell of their sweaty driver's b.o. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I can't believe you got to feed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the baby tigers! That would be such a highlight for me! Incredibly adorable, it's like puppies I wish they would stay that size forever. goll i'm so glad you are having so much fun! I have to admit any flirting with the rickshaw driver i learned meant he tried to show off and we would go faster meaning they wouldn't leave you alone after or wanted a bigger tip at the end haha so great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian started cheering when I told him you'd be home in a few weeks :) he says Isaac won't want you to go anywhere again lol. such cute baby tigers, so jealous that you go to feed them. remember when we saw those in Vegas?! so darling. we went to this is the place monument this week and go to play with the pygmy goats and I totally want some now! seriously I'm gonna need to live on a farm to have chickens too ha ha.

    ReplyDelete