The one who removes a mountain begins by removing small stones.
--Chinese Proverb

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home

How do you make an American who is abroad feel a little bit closer to home?


You find them a Wal-Mart!!!

Seriously, you would have thought we were on a shuttle to Disneyland with how excited we all were about going! The free Walmart bus picked us up outside the school tonight and all the way there was talk of Twizzlers, Mac and Cheese, Doritos, etc etc etc and we were all practically drooling with hopes of what might be there.

This is the sight that greeted us:

Photobucket

Uh, WOW??? I guess when you go straight to the source, Walmarts are tons coolers! We ventured inside excitedly only to find that it was packed mostly with the same crazy yet wonderful local food we find at the regular supermarkets here. Rats. Hopes of familiar food dashed. Although I did manage to find bubble tape, Skittles and grape Fanta to indulge in. We try as much of the Chinese candy as possible but it's nice to have a comfort food occasionally.

Another proud find: I have reusable shopping bags at home, and although I usually forgot to take them with me when I shopped I had every intent of using them! Well here? They are what you do. You bring your own or you pay for a new plastic bag. I kinda love it, I'm super motivated more than ever to continue this in the states :) So of course I had to buy a Walmart one from China! That's practically a trophy! Hot pink, please :)

Photobucket


Overall an exciting experience. You're never too far from home if there's a Walmart nearby ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hurray for WalMart! Boo for no american food there. But I guess you are in China after all. I don't know why I expected American groceries there! And that is the coolest WalMart I've ever seen. My supermarket here is trying to encourage people to use the reusable bags. My problem is I always forget to bring it with me, so I get a new one each time. I'm building up a collection, I have like four of them hiding under my sink. Hopefully I can return them or something. This "green" living can be complicated! I love your bag, by the way. Pink was a great call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the hot pink, and I totally would have gone for that and yes WallMart means you have arrived, no matter where you are! tee hee

    By the way, this is Sharla not Brandon. Just noticed he was signed in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know they HAD Walmart there! But what am I thinking? If there are people, there will be a Walmart. Like Mushu says in Mulan, "There popping up like daisies!" :) Too bad it was a different variety, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete