Today at the fruit market downtown, we had to run to catch the bus as it headed back to our apartments. Yes we felt silly but as we ride public transportation more and more it becomes less weird and more just what you do. Not having to wait half an hour for the next bus is more of an accomplishment than anything else! The bus was crowded in the afternoon so we walked all the way to the back row of seats on the bus, which is raised a couple steps because it's over the engine. I sat there, situating myself and my stuff, congratulating Debbie and Amanda that we had successfully made the bus, and settled into my chair. I kinda let my mind wander and all of the sudden I looked at the scene before me and had to laugh.
I couldn't help but wonder out of amusement, "When did this become normal to me??"
I had to get a picture in the scene I was witnessing:

Too perfect. The white-headed people kind of ruin the effect but you get the idea. I've been waiting to get a really good picture of me in a crowd of Chinese people but this moment had to be documented-- It was just so funny that all of the sudden I realized there was a sea of black haired heads spanning out in front of me and it wasn't weird anymore! Like the days I teach I'll realize I've just been staring at half-visible brown eyes all day and that makes me smile too :)
And just in case you are wondering, I do get stared at. A lot.
I love that! Cute picture. Hahaha. It's like me in Harlem. I had a similar experience on the bus to church yesterday. Suddenly realized we were the only white people. But it's just normal! Man, China and New York just have so many similarities to me. ;) China is WAY more foreign though! That's awesome that you're feeling so comfortable and don't even notice anymore. Fun stuff!
ReplyDeleteAn you are so stinking adorable! I love reading about your adventures! Absolutely love it!
ReplyDeleteYou are just the dorablist! Sorry we haven't gotten a letter yet today! Maybe it is the Farsi New Year Celebration that is holding this dear man up!
ReplyDelete