The one who removes a mountain begins by removing small stones.
--Chinese Proverb

Thursday, March 18, 2010

A very Chinese weekend

There is one social activity that shines above the rest in modern Chinese culture, and this is it:

KTV.

You know it as karaoke. It is a big hairy deal here! Not big and intimidating like in the states; you go do karaoke at a karaoke place where you rent a little room with a big screen equipped with everything you need to jam out with a bunch of friends on a couple couches. Totally cool!

Our foreign coordinators, Vivi and Gloria, took us downtown for some KTV this weekend and it was a much-needed break after a week filled with crazy Chinese children. I wore my first Chinese shirt I've bought here and before we even hit the streets I thought my eyes may have started to point at the sides and the bridge of my nose slowly vanishing-- I felt so Asian!

There was luckily a good selection of English songs so we all had an awesome time jamming out to Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls and more. Nothing like music to make you feel at home :) We ran out of time before we could end with an electrified performance of "Party in the USA" but I'm hoping we go again because I really want to have that experience in China.

Photobucket
Vivi showing us how it's done. Couldn't understand a word she was singing :)

Photobucket
Lounging on the couches :) We should totally have these in America!

Photobucket
This is as awesome as it gets, folks. "No Air"--I was being Chris and Amanda was being Rihanna. So fun!

Afterwards we treated ourselves to...Pizza Hut!
Photobucket
Okay so maybe this wasn't an entirely Chinese weekend but in my defense there was a line of Chinese people waiting to get into Pizza Hut when we left. It was sit-down style and they had to wait a long time to be seated! If they're waiting in line it must be an "it" thing to "go out for American" on a Friday night. Which really makes me laugh-- on the flipside, we say "Let's go out for Chinese!" at home and I will never think of that statement the same again. It's like how I smile every time we eat McDonald's because it'd be like going to Panda Express in America and seeing Chinese people there! What a change in perspective to think about!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that perspective at the end was really funny to think about. And that karaoke place sounds like so much fun! Loved your pictures of you guys rocking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fun outing you had, and I think that karaoke like that sounds like a blast. How was the Pizza? Same as here? Just wondering, cause I bet the chinese food here is not like it is in China!

    ReplyDelete